With less than two weeks remaining until the opening of Skyfall we are trying our best to contain our excitement… and failing. While Quantum of Solace may not have been as on point as Casino Royale Daniel Craig still delivered as everyone’s favorite super spy. Hopefully Skyfall will deliver as another super charged installment in the Bond franchise.
News & Gossip:
- Clive Owen in a comedy? article
- Idris Elba as James Bond? article
- Next two Bond stories to be linked article
In theaters now:
- Alex Cross (trailer): While there is surely an audience for Alex Cross, it was not for Anna or me. The film was a study in overacting with very little payoff in the end. From what I know of the book (which is admittedly very little) it seems that the film is quite different from the original source material. Alex Cross, played by Tyler Perry, is a detective who specializes in profiling that is hot on the trail of a psychopathic assassin played by Matthew Fox. The two of them represent the best (Perry) and worst (Fox) acting in the film, though to say that Perry was the best is really only saying that his performance was good compared to everyone else. There is very little tension or suspense in the plot and the characters are laughable, making this crime drama a bit of a yawn. Anna gave it a 2 while it was only a 1 in my opinion.
- Middle of Nowhere (trailer): This is a quietly moving independent film Anna saw. On the surface, it is a story of a young black woman, putting her medical schooling on hold while her husband is in prison. However, it’s really a story about a woman finding herself. When something happens that makes Ruby question her relationship with her husband, she is forced to look at her life and what she’s given up. It’s a movie that is able to capture the nuances and subtleties of the internal struggle Ruby goes through. A magnificent soundtrack and a story that reveals itself little by little, like a flower unfolding, all help make this a film not to be missed. Anna feels it’s one of the best movies she’s seen all year and rates it a 5.
What’s on the horizon:
- Broken City (trailer) January 18, 2013
- Iron Man 3 (trailer) May 3, 2013
- Iron Man 3 trailer broken down article
This weekend’s agenda:
Subscribe via iTunes