This week, Kari and Anna talk about some of the movies they’re most looking forward to in 2013.
In theaters now (25:00):
- Zero Dark Thirty (trailer): A strong movie, with a strong cast and great plot, this movie really showcases one woman’s obsession to find Osama bin Laden. We both rate this movie a strong 5.
- Silver Linings Playbook (trailer): Even though this puts Anna in the minority, she thought Jennifer Lawrence was the weakest part of the movie and thought her acting took away from the movie. However, after talking it through with Kari, she’s come to understand why she took such a dislike to Lawrence’s character. Unlike Anna, Kari loved the movie- it was dark, yet light; funny, yet serious; and she loved all the acting. Anna rates it a 3, while Kari gives it a 4.
- Gangster Squad (trailer): Despite it’s awesome, this movie did not deliver. Full of terrible cliches and bad special effects, even Ryan Gosling’s good looks could not redeem it. Kari rates it a 1 (a point for Ryan Gosling) and advises you not to see it.
- Les Misérables (trailer): Anna and Kari are both Les Mis virgins and after seeing this movie interpretation we cannot understand what the appeal of this musical/opera is. It is sooo long, and there is sooo much crying (by both the cast and audience). It was nearly impossible for either of us to form any attachment to any of the characters. If you love the play already, though, you will love the movie. (Here is a review of the movie from someone who loves it). Anna gives it a 1 and Kari gives it a 2– one point for Anne Hathaway, one point for Eddie Redmayne. (also check out this video of crying parents).
- The Impossible (trailer): For Anna, the 1st half of the movie was the strongest part. Kari thought the whole movie was great. They both agree that actor who played the oldest son really stole the show. They both rated it a 4.
What’s on the horizon:
This weekend’s agenda:
Subscribe via iTunes