Category Archives: academy awards
October, November, and December are typically great months for movies. The studios are all releasing their best offerings with the hope that they’ll be nominated this upcoming awards season. There’s still plenty of big blockbusters that will be released without chances of being on the Best Picture block, which makes this my favorite time of the year. I can count of multiple movies being released each week that I genuinely want to see and that I honestly anticipate being good. Argo has certainly gotten things started off with a bang! I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I’m pretty sure we can count on it showing up as a nominee for any number of awards next year.
Happily we should have a lot to talk about in the coming months and we hope you’ll stick with us as we break down the films coming out this winter!
News & Gossip:
In theaters now:
- Looper (trailer) Anna and I had incredibly mixed opinions on Looper. While Anna enjoyed this time travel mystery I found myself annoyed by plot holes and off makeup to the point where I couldn’t enjoy the film. I know this will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion but it is what it is. Looper is original and fast paced and if you are a fan of scifi or time travel movies it’s probably for you. Anna rated it a 4 while I rated it a 1 (for one of my reasons for not liking this movie scroll to the bottom of the post).
- Argo (trailer) Ben Affleck has certainly earned the distinction of a great director with this fact based drama set during the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis. This film pays amazing attention to detail in creating not only the events of the film but in creating the look and mood of the late 70s to early 80s. Affleck as Tony Mendez was also a treat to watch, making this (in my opinion) one of the best performances of his career. Make sure you don’t rush out of the theater at the end of the film as there are some interesting photos and biographical tidbits during the credits. Anna rated this a 4 while I rated it a full on 5.
- Seven Psychopaths (trailer) The writer/director of In Bruges has brought another quirky and original film starring Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson to name a few. The plot features a screenwriter suffering from writer’s block and the plethora of psychopaths he comes in contact with as he’s writing a film called Seven Psychopaths. This was fun to watch though it is quite violent. If you are a fan of Christopher Walken (and seriously who isn’t?) you need to check this out. Anna rated it a 4 while I rated it a 3.
What’s on the horizon:
- Zero Dark Thirty: December 19, 2012 (trailer)
- Stand Up Guys: January 11, 2013 (trailer)
- Gangster Squad: January 11, 2013 (trailer)
This weekend’s agenda:
- Alex Cross (trailer)
Subscribe via iTunes
This just wasn’t right…
Today marked the first podcast of Two Women, a Movie, and a Microphone! We hope that this gives everyone a pretty accurate description of things to come.
Each week we’ll touch on movie news (or gossip) some reviews of our favorites in theaters, some reactions to current trailers, and a brief glimpse of what’s to come.
So here’s what was reviewed this week!
News & Gossip:
- Gael Garcia Bernal announced as the next Zorro
- Paul Walker: Producer, who knew? (article)
- The Hunger Games mall tour coming to a mall near you! Click here for the complete schedule!
- Sacha Baron Cohen banned from The Oscars? (article)
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is not very diverse (article) and The Oscars are boring.
- Michael Fassbender is everywhere, is awesome, and will be working with Ridley Scott, twice! (article)
- The Vow – rated 1.5 out of 5. The movie was redeemed by Channing Tatum’s unwillingness to give up on love and his awesome apartment.
- Safe House – rated 4 out of 5. This movie is 1 hour 55 minutes of pure awesomeness.
- This Means War – rated 3 out of 5. A bromance we can all celebrate.
- Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (view trailer)
- The Bourne Legacy (view trailer)
- Brave (view trailer)
- Rock of Ages (view trailer)
Follow us on Twitter! @2Women1Movie