Episode 21: The not so mediocre mediocre weekend
I’ll admit I didn’t get to the movies as much as I’d have hoped over the weekend but, in case you missed it, it’s Olympics time and I am glued to my TV. It was a struggle for me to tear myself away long enough to get to one movie so I knew a second wasn’t going to happen. We’re also keeping this episode short and sweet since we’re recording in the hour before the prime-time broadcast of the Olympics and Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte are meeting for their final race… we do have a few things that take priority over movies.
News & Gossip:
- Desperation is the key to Colin Farrell’s success article
- What’s in store for the next installment of the X-Men franchise? article
- Prometheus 2 to start off where Prometheus left off article
- Fast and Furious Six has started production article
- It’s official. The Hobbit will be three films article
- Production diaries for The Hobbit link
- More Catching Fire casting news article
In theaters now:
- Step Up Revolution (trailer): If you like your movies low on acting but high on fun, this is the film for you! When the cast of a film is made largely of dancers you can’t expect the acting to be spot on. You also can’t expect a riveting plot to hold your attention. What you can expect is amazing dance scenes. I will freely admit that I have a real love for Step Up 2. Not so much for Step Up 1 or Step Up 3, but I’ve seen both of those and would watch them again if they were on TV. I was not expecting much going into Step Up Revolution but was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. To be fair I love a good choreographed dance number. The plot was laughable and the acting terrible, but the film was saved by the dancing. I honestly had a hard time sitting still in my seat. I rated it a 3 out of 5 (for the fun factor) while Anna rated it a 2.
- The Watch (trailer): Anna enjoyed The Watch much more than she thought she would. Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughan deliver pretty standard performances but Richard Ayoade and Jonah Hill steal the show. Anna refused to spoil the film for me but it centers around a neighborhood watch group hunting down aliens in their neighborhood and CostCo. Anna laughed her way through the entire film and rated it a 3 out of 5. Sadly I was not able to see The Watch because I was too busy watching the Olympics.
What’s on the horizon:
- Chasing Mavericks: October 26 (trailer)
This weekend’s agenda:
- Total Recall (trailer)
Subscribe via iTunes
Posted on August 5, 2012, in move reviews, movies, podcast, Uncategorized and tagged catching fire, chasing mavericks, fast and furious, hobbit, prometheus, step up revolution, the watch, total recall, x-men. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.