Episode 4: The One where Kari and Anna have a difference of opinion.
Last weekend was the first weekend where we were both able to see the same movies, this doesn’t happen often. While we both agreed that John Carter was entertaining and worth seeing, we had some very different opinions on Friends with Kids.
News & Gossip:
- The Hunger Games compared to Twilight? Don’t make us laugh (article)
- Tom Cruise to (maybe) play Ethan Hunt one more time (article)
- Movieline’s SOILIES Awards (link)
In theaters now:
- John Carter: We both liked this movie without any prior knowledge of the source work. John Carter won’t be up for any major awards but it was an entertaining movie and Taylor Kitsch holds his own as the leading man. We both rate it 2 out of 5, although on further reflection I feel that we might need to give it another half point in honor of Taylor Kitsch’s muscles. (trailer)
- Friends with Kids: This marks the first movie during this series that Kari and Anna really, really disagreed on. Kari thoroughly enjoyed this look at what happens when your friends all start getting married and having kids. The performances touched on a lot of different emotions and really let Adam Scott shine as a man trying to find the one who realizes that she’s been right in front of him the entire time. It’s not your typical romantic comedy although you can see how it’s going to end practically before it starts. Kari rated it a 3 out of 5. Anna, on the other hand, quite disliked this film. She was not impressed by the dialogue, the cast, or the story. She also disliked Jennifer Westfeldt’s performance as the leading lady. Jon Hamm, Kristen Wiig, Chris O’Dowd and Maya Rudolph as the friends of the main characters were unnecessary to the plot and added nothing to the story. They were also not funny. If you are looking for another Bridesmaids type comedy, this movie is NOT for you. Anna rated it a 1 out of 5. (trailer)
What’s on the horizon:
This weekend’s agenda:
- 21 Jump Street (trailer)
Subscribe via iTunes here!